Would you like to be at the Gideon Media Arts Conference & Film Festival but you don’t have the funds to attend? Well, do I have some ideas for you!
A number of years ago, I wanted to attend a writer’s conference, but I had just paid to go to another conference a month or two before and I couldn’t rationalize spending more money—particularly since I hadn’t yet written a book or sold my first article.
The problem was, I felt like God wanted me to be at this conference. So I got down on my knees and prayed, “Lord, if you want me to attend this conference, will you please provide the funds for me to get there?” I continued praying each day and then something interesting occurred. I happened to realize that—even though the conference was in my town—I wasn’t hearing anything about it.
I went to the website for the conference and found their contact information. Then I called their admissions manager and said, “I’ve noticed that you aren’t getting any media coverage for your conference. I’d really love to attend. Would you be interested in some publicity in exchange for the tuition for the conference?”
I attended the conference and made some connections that led to my first book contract…and my second and third book contracts…and a film venture. Since then—despite having lean resources—I’ve attended many conferences and God has provided a way for me to attend each of them.
So how does this apply to you? Sometimes we get so busy thinking about all the reasons we “can’t” that we forget God CAN provide what we need to get there. So here are a few suggestions that can help you get to Gideon:
- Start praying for God to provide what you need to attend the conference.
- Step out in faith and decide that you’re going to attend.
- Sign up for the monthly payment plan. Do it NOW! You have nothing to lose.
- Ask God to show you creative ways you can raise extra funds. Is there a business that could use your skills as a writer? Could you clean out the junk (ahem, treasures) in your home, plan a couple of yard sales, and use the funds towards your Gideon experience? Could you tutor a student or provide acting lessons? How about using coupons for your groceries and putting what you save into your Gideon fund? Could you clean a few houses or do yard work for some neighbors? Could you shoot some videos for local churches? Think about your skills and how you could use them to make a few extra dollars.
- Let others know of your desire to attend Gideon. Ask them to pray with you.
- Realize that God has put attending the Gideon Media Arts Conference & Film Festival on your heart for a reason. God has given you gifts and skills to use for Him. Don’t let them go to waste.
- Realize that God can use YOU to touch hearts and lives—literally around the world.
- Don’t be the one sitting at home thinking, Boy, I wish I could have been at Gideon!
Take the challenge. Ask the God with unlimited resources to provide the funds you need to attend Gideon. Pray about it and be sensitive to His leading as He provides ideas and opportunities. We look forward to seeing you there.